Masaki Ujihara, PhD
Birth day: 1970.9.24 / Male
Citizenship: Taiwan Nationality: Japan
Graduate Institute of Applied Science and Technology, National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
PhD in Science, Nagoya University, Aichi/Japan
Major in Physical Chemistry
Research in Miami University, Miami/USA
The 21st Century COE Program (No. 14 COEB01-00) of Nagoya University for financial support of a research assistant fellowship
April 2002-March 2005
PhD candidate in Science, Nagoya University, Aichi/Japan
Major in Physical Chemistry
April 1994-March 1996
Master’s course in Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto/Japan
Major in Wood Chemistry
April 1990-March 1994
Bachelor program in Agriculture, Kyoto University, Kyoto/Japan
Concentration in Wood Chemistry
National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, as an associate professor
National Taiwan University of Science and Technology, as an assistant professor
Keio University, as a doctoral research fellow
Keio University, as a doctoral research fellow
Hitec co. (leave of absence 2002-2005)
2009-present: National Taiwan University of Science and Technology
Nano-architecture design for green materials using carbon-nanotubes and nanoparticles
2007-2009: Keio University
Interaction between detergents and lipid mixtures, observation of characteristic swelling process of the mixtures
2002-2005: PhD course
Fabrication of dendrimer/metal-nanoparticle hybrid film with LB method, designing a bifunctional monolayer with metal surface and dendrimer-modified surface
1996-2000: NOF CORPORATION
R&D of detergents for mild shampoo and body-wash, mainly synthesis process
R&D of methacrylates and manufacturing process of them
1994-1996: Master’s course
Synthesis of model compounds of lignin, and designing a novel cleavage method of them at a mild condition for efficient pulping process
- Shape-controlling of nanoparticles, fabrication of nanofibers
- Hybridization of nanomaterials, e.g. core-shell structures, surface modification, and combination of different materials
- Mass-production of nano-materials with eco-friendly and low cost process
- Organic-inorganic nano-composites, sol-gel method
- Reinforcement of bulk-materials with nano-materials for high-strength
- Ordered structures of nano-materials on/in polymer films to utilize their functions (transparency, conductivity and so on)
- Energy devices (e.g. solar battery) with nano-structures that have optimized structures for energy transfer pathway consisted of nano-fibers, nanoparticles and the others
- Mesoporous materials for filtration systems
- Ujihara M, Nanocomposite films for absorption and decomposition of sickbuilding syndrome gases. Nanomaterials for Air Remediation 1st Edition. Elsevier. Feb, 2020: chapter 13, pp 251-272.
- Ujihara M, Imae T. Chapter 4 nanolayer properties by surface enhanced spectroscopy. In: Imae T, editor. Nanolayer Research: Methodology and Technology for Green Chemistry. Elsevier;
- Ujihara M, Imae T. Chapter 2 Response for External Stimulation on the Skin. In: Imae T, editor. Skin Bioscience: A Molecular Approach. Pan Stanford Publishing Pte. Ltd.; October 17, 2013, 43-81.
- Imae T, Ujihara M, Hayashi M. Chapter 9 Homo- and Hybrid-Monolayers of Dendritic Polymers. In: Imae T, editor. Interface Science and Technology [Internet]. Elsevier; 2007 [cited 2018 Jan 3]. p. 219–45. (Advanced Chemistry of Monolayers at Interfaces; vol. 14).
- Debelo, T.T and Ujihara, M (2020). Effect of simultaneous electrochemical deposition of manganese hydroxide and polypyrrole on structure and capacitive behavior. Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Volume 859, 113825.
- Berhe, A and Ujihara, M (2018). Electrochemical and Dip-Coating Synthesis of Dendritic Cu/CuI Nanowire Films and Their Application in Dye Degradation Under UV Irradiation. ChemistrySelect, 2018, 3, 10502–
- Kamely, N and Ujihara, M (2018). Confeito-like Au/TiO2 nanocomposite: synthesis and plasmon-induced photocatalysis. J Nanopart Res, (2018) 20:172.
- Ujihara, M., Hsu, M. H., Liou, J. Y., & Imae, T. (2018). Hybridization of cellulose nanofiber with amine-polymers and its ability on sick house syndrome gas decomposition. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers.
- Saw WS, Ujihara M, Chong WY, Voon SH, Imae T, Kiew LV, et al. Size-dependent effect of cystine/citric acid-capped confeito-like gold nanoparticles on cellular uptake and photothermal cancer therapy. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2018 Jan;161(Supplement C):365–74.
- Ujihara M, Dang NM, Imae T. Surface-Enhanced Resonance Raman Scattering of Rhodamine 6G in Dispersions and on Films of Confeito-Like Au Nanoparticles. Sensors. 2017 Nov 7;17(11):2563.
- Wu Y-H, Imae T, Ujihara M. Surface enhanced plasmon effects by gold nanospheres and nanorods in Langmuir-Blodgett films. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2017 Nov;532(Supplement C):213–21.
- Shah KJ, Imae T, Ujihara M, Huang S-J, Wu P-H, Liu S-B. Poly(amido amine) dendrimer-incorporated organoclays as efficient adsorbents for capture of NH3 and CO2. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2017 Mar;312(Supplement C):118–25.
- Chang C-C, Imae T, Chen L-Y, Ujihara M. Efficient surface enhanced Raman scattering on confeito-like gold nanoparticle-adsorbed self-assembled monolayers. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 2015;17(48):32328–34.
Ujihara M, Dang NM, Chang C-C, Imae T. Surface-enhanced infrared absorption spectra of eicosanoic acid on confeito-like Au nanoparticle. Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 2014 Nov;45(6):3085–9.
Ujihara M, Dang NM, Imae T. Fluorescence Quenching of Uranine on Confeito-Like Au Nanoparticles. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2014 Jul 1;14(7):4906–10.
Mahesh KPO, Kuo D-H, Huang B-R, Ujihara M, Imae T. Chemically modified polyurethane-SiO2/TiO2 hybrid composite film and its reusability for photocatalytic degradation of Acid Black 1 (AB 1) under UV light. Applied Catalysis A: General. 2014 Apr;475(Supplement C):235–41.
Ujihara M, Ahmed MMM, Imae T, Yamauchi Y. Massive-exfoliation of magnetic graphene from acceptor-type GIC by long-chain alkyl amine. Journal of Materials Chemistry A. 2014;2(12):4244–50.
Alam MM, Miras J, Pérez-Carrillo LA, Vílchez S, Solans C, Imae T, et al. Facile synthesis of dual micro/macroporous carbonaceous foams by templating in highly concentrated water-in-oil emulsions. Microporous and Mesoporous Materials. 2013 Dec;182(Supplement C):102–8.
Osawa K, Imae T, Ujihara M, Harada A, Ochi K, Ishihara K, et al. Preparation of amphiphilic diblock copolymers with pendant hydrophilic phosphorylcholine and hydrophobic dendron groups and their self-association behavior in water. J Polym Sci Part A: Polym Chem. 2013 Nov;51(22):4923–31.
Ujihara M, Imae T. Versatile one-pot synthesis of confeito-like Au nanoparticles and their surface-enhanced Raman scattering effect. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects. 2013 Sep;436(Supplement C):380–5.
Bhoi VI, Imae T, Ujihara M, Murthy CN. Surface Immobilization of Carbon Nanotubes by β-Cyclodextrins and Their Inclusion Ability. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2013 Apr 1;13(4):2604–12.
Han Ho F, Wu Y-H, Ujihara M, Imae T. A solution-based nano-plasmonic sensing technique by using gold nanorods. Analyst. 2012;137(11):2545–8.
Shown I, Ujihara M, Imae T. Synthesis of β-Cyclodextrin-Modified Water-Dispersible Ag-TiO2 Core–Shell Nanoparticles and Their Photocatalytic Activity. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2011 Apr 1;11(4):3284–90.
Rodriguez-Abreu C, Vilanova N, Solans C, Ujihara M, Imae T, López-Quintela A, et al. A combination of hard and soft templating for the fabrication of silica hollow microcoils with nanostructured walls. Nanoscale Research Letters. 2011 Apr;6:330.
Adhikari PD, Ujihara M, Imae T, Hong P-D, Motojima S. Reinforcement on Properties of Poly(vinyl alcohol) Films by Embedding Functionalized Carbon Micro Coils. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2011 Feb 1;11(2):1004–12.
Shown I, Ujihara M, Imae T. Sensitizing of pyrene fluorescence by β-cyclodextrin-modified TiO2 nanoparticles. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2010 Dec;352(2):232–7.
Wang X, Ujihara M, Imae T, Saiwaki T, Ishikubo A, Okamoto T. Visual observation of selective elution of components from skin-mimetic lipid membrane. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2010 Nov;81(1):174–7.
Wang X, Ujihara M, Imae T, Ishikubo A, Sugiyama Y, Okamoto T. Characterization of mimetic lipid mixtures of stratum corneum. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces. 2010 Jun;78(1):92–100.
Adhikari PD, Tai Y, Ujihara M, Chu C-C, Imae T, Motojima S. Surface Functionalization of Carbon Micro Coils and Their Selective Immobilization on Surface-Modified Silicon Substrates. Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. 2010 Feb 1;10(2):833–9.
- Ujihara M, Mitamura K, Torikai N, Imae T. Fabrication of Metal Nanoparticle Monolayers on Amphiphilic Poly(amido amine) Dendrimer Langmuir Films. Langmuir. 2006 Apr;22(8):3656–61.
Ujihara M, Imae T. Adsorption behaviors of poly(amido amine) dendrimers with an azacrown core and long alkyl chain spacers on solid substrates. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2006 Jan;293(2):333–41.
Ujihara M, Orbulescu J, Imae T, Leblanc RM. Film Structures of Poly(Amido Amine) Dendrimers with an Azacrown Core and Long Alkyl Chain Spacers on Water or Ag Nanoparticle Suspension. Langmuir. 2005 Jul;21(15):6846–54.
Yemul O, Ujihara M, Maki N, Imae T. Synthesis and Film Formation of Poly(phenylene sulfide) Dendrimers and Dendrons. Polymer Journal. 2005 Feb;37(2):82.
Ujihara M, Nakatsubo F, Katahira R. A Novel Selective Cleavage Method for β- O -4 Substructure in Lignins Named TIZ Method. I. Degradation of Guaiacyl and Syringyl Models. Journal of Wood Chemistry and Technology. 2003 Jan;23(1):71–87.
- Ujihara, M Solution-Phase Synthesis of Branched Metallic Nanoparticles for Plasmonic Applications. Journal of Oleo Science, 67, (6) 689-696 (2018).
- Ujihara M, Imae T. A Review of Hydrophilization of Oxidized Nanocarbons. In: Recent Progress in Colloid and Surface Chemistry with Biological Applications [Internet]. American Chemical Society; 2015 [cited 2018 Jan 3]. p. 25–41. (ACS Symposium Series; vol. 1215).
- Ujihara M, Imae T. Hierarchical structures of dendritic polymers. Polym Int. 2010 Feb;59(2):137–44.
- Imae T, Ahmed MMM, Ujihara M. Nondestructive Production of Magnetic Graphene Towards Energy Applications. Meet Abstr. 2015 Jul 7;MA2015-02(10):607–607.
- Koji Mitamura, Masaki Ujihara, Naoya Torikai, Toyoko Imae, “Neutron Reflectometric Investigation of a Dendrimer/Nanoparticle Hybrid Film at Air/water Interface”, KENS REPORT XV, 2003-2006, 194
International, published applications
Japanese published/examined applications
- P4022910, “Composition of detergents”
- P3630264, “Composition for hair shampoo”
Japanese published applications
- Published 2011-022159
- Published 2010-169653
- Published 2009-070620
- Published 2009-001791
- Published 2008-297349, “Production method of porous film”
- Published 2008-226703, “Porous film”
- Published 2008-222913, “Porous film”
- Published 2008-066193, “Cross-linked micro-porous membrane”
- Published H11-029788, “Composition of detergents”
- Published H10-316544, “Composition for hair shampoo”
- Published H10-245591, “Composition of detergents”
- Published H10-245589, “Composition of detergents”
- Published H10-245588, “Composition of detergents”
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, Materials 2019, August 8-10, Taipei, Taiwan, Invited speaker and as a committee member.
- Abrha Berhe, Masaki Ujihara, LFM2018, May 14-16, Taipei, Taiwan (poster)
- Nasim Kamely, Masaki Ujihara, LFM2018, May 14-16, Taipei, Taiwan (poster)
- Masaki Ujihara, LFM2018, 2018, May 14-16, Taipei, Taiwan, Invited speaker and as a committee member.
- Mahmoud M.M. Ahmed, Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, ASAM6, 2017, Sep. 27-30, Hanoi, Vietnam
- Masaki Ujihara, ACOS, 2017, Sept. 12-13, Tokyo, Japan, Invited speaker
- Nasim Kamely, Masaki Ujihara, ACCIS, 2017, Aug 8-11, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (poster)
- Masaki Ujihara, ISPAC, 2017, June 8-10, Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam, Invited speaker
- Masaki Ujihara, Mahmoud Mohamed Mahmoud Ahmed, Toyoko Imae, ASCASS, Sasebo, Japan
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, ISAMR 2015, Aug 16-20, Sun Moon Lake, Taiwan, Invited speaker
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, JTCC 2015, Taopei, Taiwan, July 21-24, Invited speaker
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, 日本化学会第94春季年会(2014), Nagoya, Japan (poster)
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, IMTCE 2014, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 13-16. as an Invited speaker
- Masaki Ujihara, Min-Hsuan Hsu, Toyoko Imae, PPC 2013, Kaohsiung, Nov, 2013 (poster)
- Mahmoud M.M. Ahmed, Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, ASAM-4, Taipei, Oct, 2013
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, ASAM-4, Taipei, Oct, 2013
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, IUMRS-ICA 2011, Taipei, Sep, 2011
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, ICMAT2011, Singapore, Jun 28-Jul 1, 2011
- Toyoko Imae, Shoichi Ohishi, Masaki Ujihara, European Conference of Chemical Engineering (ECCE’10), Puerto De La Cruz, Tenerife, Nov. 30- Dec. 2, 2010
- Carlos Rodríguez-Abreu, Neus Vilanova , Conxita Solans, Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, and Seiji Motojima, The 11th Trends in Nanotechnology conference, Braga (Portugal), Sep. 2010
- Masaki Ujihara, Prashanta Dhoj Adhikari, and Toyoko Imae, The 1st FAPS Polymer Congress, Nagoya (Japan), October, 2009
- Masaki Ujihara, Japan-Taiwan Joint Symposium on Innovations on Frontier Nanomaterials, Hakone (Japan), July, 2007 (as a member of the program committee and an oral speaker)
- Masaki Ujihara, Johnny Orbulescu, Toyoko Imae, Roger M. Leblanc, Asian Conference on Recent Trends in Colloid and Surface Science(ACCASS), Nagoya (Japan) December, 2005
- Masaki Ujihara, National ACS Meeting, San Diego, CA (USA), March, 2005
- Masaki Ujihara, Toyoko Imae, International Symposium on Functional Colloids and Surfaces, Yokohama (Japan), January, 2005
- Masaki Ujihara, KanaTamano, Omprakash Yemul, Toyoko Imae, IUMRS-ICAM 2003, Yokohama (Japan), October, 2003